3 lbs Cubed
Bison Chuck Tender
2 medium onions
2 medium carrots peeled & sliced
2 tbsp olive oil (for browning)
⅜ cup flour
2 cups vegetable or bison stock
1 cup dry red wine
1 small can tomato paste
½ tsp salt
2 garlic cloves
⅛ tsp cayenne pepper
½ tsp thyme
¾ tsp dried parsley
1 bay leaf
¾ cup fresh mushrooms (sliced)
½ cup olive oil (for sautéing)
1. Lightly season meat in flour, salt and
2. Brown meat in oil.
3. Remove meat, place in oven proof dish
4. Sauté carrot slices, onions and garlic in
olive oil; transfer to covered dish.
5. Add flour to pan, brown slightly, adding
more oil if necessary to make a roux.
6. Slowly stir vegetable or bison stock into
roux and thicken, stirring constantly.
7. Add red wine, tomato paste and seasonings
and pour over bison.
8. Bake covered at 325°F for 1½ to 2 hours.
9. Sauté mushrooms in olive oil and add to
bison, continue baking for an additional 1
hour until meat is fork tender.