1. In a large bowl, beat eggs until
foamy. Add milk, cinnamon, vanilla and sugar
beating well. Put aside.
2. Coat a 13 x 9 x 2 - inch baking dish
with cooking spray.
3. Buttering one side of 8 slices of
challah, place in baking dish buttered side
down. Pieces may overlap. Fill spaces
between slices with broken pieces of challah.
4. Scatter half of apple slices and half
of raisins on top. Pour 25 percent of milk
mixture over this layer.
5. Cover with another eight slices of
unbuttered challah, repeating steps for
first layer. Pour another 25 percent of milk
6. Cover with last eight slices,
repeating steps again. Pour remaining milk
evenly over top.
7. Dust with cinnamon and dot with
8. Bake at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for 80
minutes until top browns and custard sets.
Remove from oven and cover with foil. Cool
30 minutes before slicing.