Apricot Honey Cake
- 1-3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 cup dark honey
- 1/2 cup strong coffee, cooled
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 5 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 2 tsp. orange zest, chopped fine
- 1 cup tart apple, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup golden raisins, chopped
- 3/4 cup dried apricots, chopped
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Line a 9-inch-square cake pan or a
10-inch-round glass pan with
In a bowl, combine flour, wheat germ, baking
powder, baking soda and cinnamon.
In a separate bowl, whisk together honey,
coffee, oil, egg whites
and orange zest. Add wet ingredients into
dry ingredients and whisk just to combine.
Quickly fold in the apples, raisins and
Pour into pan and bake for 40 to 45 minutes.
Test with toothpick making sure not to
over bake. A toothpick or fork tine inserted
into the center of a fruity cake should come
out slightly sticky.
Remove from oven and turn onto a cotton
towel. Wrap cake in the towel and let cook
on a rack.