Insects - Page
WHITE CABBAGE / RED CABBAGE - Cleaning
1. Separate ALL the leaves.
2. Soak all the leaves for three minutes in
very soapy water.
3. Rinse both sides of each leaf
individually under a stream of running
water. Make sure the water runs through all
4. No visual check is necessary.
Alternate Method for Cabbage That Will Be
1. Wrap in plastic and freeze for at least
2. Thaw, but not completely.
3. Separate and rinse both sides of each
leaf under a stream of running water. Make
sure the water runs through all the
4. No visual checking is necessary.
1. Check the leaves using one of the methods
mentioned for lettuce. (Checking / cleaning)
1. Separate all the stalks and rinse under
running water whilst brushing with a nylon
brush along all surfaces – both inside and
CITRUS FRUIT – Checking and / or Cleaning
Citrus fruit often have “scale insects” on
the peel. Usually measuring about 1,5mm,
these black or brown deposits usually come
off when pressing a fingernail against their
side. Even if you don’t eat the peel, the
insects often come off in the process of
cutting, peeling and / or squeezing.
1. If the peel appears absolutely clean you
may use it as is. But if not, then:
2. If you peel the fruit, rinse off the
fruit and your hands after peeling.
3. If you:-
the fruit* use a slice in other foods
(e.g. slice of lemon in a drink)
- If you
eat the fruit off the peel (e.g. quartered
first brush down the peel with a nylon
brush under running water.
(MIELIES) - Cleaning
country both white and yellow mielies on the
cob have often been found to be infested. It
is impossible to get rid of the infestation
whilst still on the cob, as the thrip hide
between the kernels.
The only way that corn may be eaten is by
1. cutting all the kernels off the cob,
2. soaking them for 3 minutes in very soapy
3. thoroughly rinsing them through a sieve
Frozen or Tinned Corn may be used as these
have been extremely thoroughly rinsed in the
BABY CORN - Cleaning
Rinse under a tap of running water.
Sept 2005 - 2014 - Kosher Recipes - Kosher Cooking - Jewish Cooking - Jewish Recipes - Jewish Foods